The holidays provide the opportunity to spend time with loved ones and share delicious meals. It is also a period in which the average person gains 7 to 10 pounds of fat. Here are a few healthy holiday recipes to try – always consider using organic ingredients.
Roasted Brussels Sprout Salad with Butternut Squash & Pecans
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 orange juiced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Himalayan salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Peel, seed, and cut butternut squash into cubes.
- Trim the bottoms of the Brussels sprouts, clean and cut in half vertically
Preheat the oven to 450 degree F. Arrange vegetables on two baking sheets with sides. Toss each pan of vegetables with juice of half an orange, about 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned all around. Toss quinoa and pecans. Serve arrange vegetables on a serving platter and garnish with pomegranate.
Spicy Green Beans with Mushrooms
Warm the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until brown. Add the mushrooms, green beans, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and continue cooking until the green beans are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and the lemon juice. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
Beet Carpaccio with Goat Cheese & Arugula
- 3 medium beets, peeled and stems trimmed to 2 inches
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces baby arugula (4 cups packed)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dill
- Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
Using stems as a handle, slice beets paper-thin with slicer (wear gloves to avoid staining hands). Toss with vinegar and salt in a bowl, then let stand 5 minutes to wilt. Divide beets among 4 large plates, overlapping slices slightly. Top with goat cheese. Toss arugula with 1 tablespoon oil and salt and pepper to taste, then mound over goat cheese. Garnish with dill and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups baked sweet potatoes (about 5 large potatoes)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted cultured butter or ghee, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
For the Topping:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 4 tablespoons cultured butter or ghee, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and adjust rack to middle position.
- Mash sweet potatoes and mix them with the honey, eggs, butter, coconut milk, vanilla and salt.
- Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Pour into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Place almond flour, coconut flour, honey, salt and butter in a mixing bowl. Stir until combined. Then stir in pecans.
- Pour pecan mixture in an even layer over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Whatever you choose to share with your loved ones will be highly enjoyable when having a joyful appreciative spirit… Happy Holidays!!!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor