Another way of getting fitter and leaner is by incorporating plyometrics into your routine. Plyometric exercises are those in which your muscles exert a great amount of force in short intervals of time.
Plyometrics involve an all-out effort and require proper form. They are really not recommended for beginners or those with existing injuries. In order to get most of your plyometric training, it’s best to perform them at the beginning of a workout (after warming up) before your muscles are too fatigued. You can start with 4-8 repetitions for three to four sets. Try not to do them every day, rest at least 48 hours between sessions for best results.
Some example of plyometric exercises are long jumps, squat jumps, reverse lunge with knee hops, plyo lunges (or jumping lunges), horizontal jumps, judo rolls with jump, start jumps, kneeling jump squats, plyo spider lunges, squat thrusts (or froggers), plyo pushups, tuck jumps, burpee with tuck jumps, single-leg deadlift jumps, horizontal to tuck jumps, pistol squats roll with jump, plyometric push-ups to squat.
BENEFITS OF PLYOMETRICS
- Improved Athleticism: Plyometrics increase your ability to exert greater force faster, increasing your power and making you fitter.
- Muscle Building: Performing explosive movements as plyometrics helps you to build muscle.
- Fat Burning: Powerful movements and the recruitment of numerous muscles simultaneously accelerate your metabolism and help you burn more fat.
- Better Stability: Any movement in which you are jumping or using one leg at a time works on your balance.
- Bone Density: Any form of strength training, such as lifting weights, calisthenics or plyometrics, stresses your muscles and bones. This work against some form of resistance stimulates bone density.
- Versatility: You can perform plyometrics anywhere and at any time. They are great because there is no equipment needed, except for your own body. Plus, plyometrics can help you to become more versatile. 😊
Incorporate a few different plyometric exercises and experience great changes in your physique and your fitness level!
Remember, whether you want to lose weight, tone your body, gain strength or size, all muscles must be trained.
Lift, Burn more Fat, Get Stronger and Live Healthier!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor