A key aspect of fitness training is adaptation, which is why diversity is so important. Making changes to your routine positively affects your body and physiology, as well as your mental state. When aiming to shape nice-looking arms or any other body part, it is essential to perform different arm exercises.
An awesome arm exercise is the Barbell Drag Curl. This bicep exercise targets the outer portion of the biceps -the long head)- and the brachialis. The bicep or biceps brachii is the large muscle that lies on the front part of the upper arm between the shoulder and the elbow. It arises on the scapula and runs towards the upper forearm. The biceps muscle has two heads — therefore its name — the short head and the long head. The biceps main function is to flex and supinates the elbow -allowing it to rotate so the palm faces up or forward. The biceps is one of three muscles in the anterior compartment of the upper arm, along with the brachialis muscle and the coracobrachialis muscle.
Drag Curls Benefits
- Hypertrophy: Since your elbows are behind your body at peak contraction, the contraction is pretty hard with drag curls. This makes it a pretty effective exercise to build your biceps.
- Bicep Concentration: Keeping your elbows back and at your sides, allow the biceps to do all the work and not the shoulders.
- Simple: The Drag Curl is a straight forward and simple movement. You just need a barbell.
How to Do Barbell Drag Curls
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart with your knees slightly bent
- Grab a barbell with a regular grip and start with it in contact with your upper tights
- Keep your shoulders, hips and knees aligned and your core tight
- Curl the bar up, bringing your elbows back slightly
- Keep the bar in contact with your body at all times, in a dragging-like motion -- therefore the name
- Lower the bar the same way, keeping it in contact with the body
Avoid Drag Curls Mistakes
- Be sure not to move your elbows forward like in a regular curl. You must keep them back throughout the movement.
- Avoid performing the move fast. This exercise requires slow execution, repetition in a controlled way.
- Avoid recklessness. Drag curls use a short range of motion so you really need to concentrate and squeeze when contracting.
- Do not drag the bar up to the shoulders. Otherwise, you are doing the exercise incorrectly The bar should come only as high as your lower chest in order to keep the elbows behind.
VIDEO: Barbell Drag Curls
Lift, Burn more Fat, Get Stronger and Live Healthier!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor