2020 was a difficult year. The coronavirus brought in health challenges and even death. Since most Americans are overweight and have health conditions associated with their lifestyles, their immune system was overwhelmed and unable to function efficiently. Additionally, lockdowns were instituted and we saw an increase in adverse mental health conditions. Simultaneously, the economy was plunged into a downward spiral.
The pandemic, also, severely affected the fitness industry and changed how people are staying fit. According to RunRepeat.com‘ survey of 4,538 active adults from 122 countries, there are some interesting shifts from 2020 to 2021. Here are the results of their research ⤵️
- Exercising outdoors increased 14.6% from the start of 2020
- 59.1% of active adults chose outdoor activities (running, training, hiking, and walking) as the best way to stay fit
- 39.4% of gym members are switching to running and other outdoor activities in 2021
- At-home fitness equipment is another fitness trend, going up 49.6% from the start of 2020. In comparison to the 8.2% of adults that chose gyms, 103.6% more respondents think at-home fitness equipment is their best bet for achieving their fitness goals in 2021. In the US, at-home fitness equipment went up 218.3%
- The other two fastest-growing trends for staying fit in 2021 are personal trainers and nutritionists (up 47.5%) and online fitness courses, classes, and subscriptions (up 16.8%). In the US, online fitness went up 134.7%
- On the other hand, gyms and health clubs are going in the opposite direction – there has been a 60.5% decrease in gym attendance. At the start of 2020, a fifth of active adults turned to fitness facilities as their primary way to stay fit, and now, only 8.2% do so.
As you can see many changes have taken place. Yet, how you stay active and fit is not the main issue. The point is that it should be a priority most days out of the week in order to keep your body and mind healthy. The following are some tips that can make 2021 a better year.
- Eat Nutrient-Dense Foods
- Exercise Enough to Stay Healthy
- Cope with Stress Adequately
- Get Perspective
- Let Go of Control
- Stay Positive
When looking to set your fitness and health goals, take into consideration the fitness trends that have taken place over the past year. You can also incorporate the suggestions of a diverse group of health experts in order to make 2021 a healthier happier year.
To A Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor