Mother’s Day is coming up. A great opportunity to celebrate the presence of our mother or commemorate her life. Being a parent is probably the hardest job in the world. So, try to make it special for your mom!
So when celebrating at home, it’s great to have a well-rounded meal. One of the things that I have witnessed many times is that most of the appetizers are mostly carb-focused. Being in the fitness industry, I eat protein with all of my meals and am very aware of all the available macronutrients around. Occasionally, celebrating the holidays leaves my body missing some of my protein requirements.
Here are few simple but fast, delicious and highly nutritious high-protein appetizers… Enjoy!!!
CASHEW BUTTER HUMMUS
- 1 can of organic chickpeas
- 1/3 cup creamy organic raw cashew butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 large lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- Use a food processor (or high-power blender) to mix the ingredients
- Serve with vegetables or snack of choice
CREAM CHEESE SALMON ROLLS
- 7 ounces wild caught smoked salmon (slices) 200 grams
- 1 cup of a arugula
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil 35 grams
- 1/2 fresh lemon or more to taste
- 1/2 cup organic lactose-free cream cheese
- salt to taste
- Arrange slices of salmon on a large plate
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon on the salmon, add arugula, and top each slice with cream cheese.
- Roll the slices and drizzle with the olive oil (and salt if wanted).
PUMPKIN PROTEIN DIP
- 2 X 6 ounce containers of organic Greek vanilla yogurt
- 2 scoops Nutrition 53 Vanilla protein powder (N53 Lean1, Vanilla)
- 1/2 cup canned 100% organic pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- For increased sweetness, add Stevia
- Mix or blend all the ingredients until fully combined
- Sprinkle a little cinnamon
- Serve with veggies, apples or snack of choice
To all the moms out there….Have an amazing day!!!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor