Martin Luther King Jr. Day is here. It is a federal holiday that commemorates Martin Luther King Jr.’s life.
King was one of the main voices for the civil rights movement, which rallied towards ending racial segregation and discrimination against African Americans. He advocated nonviolent activism to spread out his message and achieve his goals. Even though racism still exists against many races and throughout the world, his message is a valuable one.
Martin Luther King Jr. left a wonderful legacy. He advocated equality, freedom, faith, peace, love, self-improvement, consciousness, empowerment, and leadership.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes:
On Adversity… Learn, Remain Faithful, Appreciate All
- Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.
- Only in the darkness can you see the stars.
- We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope.
On Injustice & Relationships… Become Conscious, Do what’s Right, Forgive
- Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness: Only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: Only love can do that.
- That old law about ‘an eye for an eye’ leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- People fail to get along because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don’t know each other; they don’t know each other because they have not communicated with each other.
- We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love.
- I have decided to stick to love … Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.
On Self-Development… Progress, Live fully, Develop your Vision
- Intelligence plus character–that is the goal of true education.
- No one really knows why they are alive until they know what they’d die for.
- If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.
- I have a Dream.
His message leaves extensive points to learn and reflect upon…
What is your favorite quote?? Which one can you apply into your life?
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor