Unfortunately, the standard American diet (SAD) is full of processed foods, refined carbs, vegetable oils, and trans fats. Most people don’t eat the required amount of vegetables, fruits, healthy fats, or have macronutrient balance on their diet. The result is an over-fed nation but under-nourished.
Did you know that the majority of Americans have at least one nutritional deficiency? Even though we have abundant food supply and consume more calories than needed, micronutrient deficiencies are the norm instead of the exception. This is what the data shows related to the US population:
- 31% of children and adults are at risk for anemia – low levels of vitamin B-12 and iron
- 47% of pregnant and breastfeeding women have an elevated risk of micronutrient deficiencies
- 42% of the population is vitamin D deficient
- Premenopausal women, those with poor eating habits, people over age 65, those who take prescription medication (for heartburn, acid reflux, constipation) long-term, Caucasians who avoid the sun, and darker skin people (their body’s ability to produce vitamin D from sunlight is compromised due to high amounts of melatonin) are even at higher risk for lower vitamin D levels
- 39% have plasma with B-12 levels in the low-normal range and 25% below normal
- 98% are potassium-deficient
- 75% are magnesium-deficient
- >25% consume the recommended amount of vitamins A, C, and E
- It is also believed that people who don’t take dietary supplements have a 40 percent risk of micronutrient deficiency, while only 14 percent of multivitamin-multimineral users are at risk
Another reason why we may be so nutrient deficient may be because we stopped eating organ meats. Our ancestors not only ate the animals’ muscle, as we do now when we eat steak, but they also eat their organs.
In actuality, organs, also called offal, were treasured. Organ meats were believed to be very powerful. Ancestral wisdom followed the tenet that “like supports like” and they consumed certain animal parts to nourish their own. For instance, they consumed bone marrow to support the state of their bones, teeth, and connective tissues. They consumed the liver to build up their blood – as you may know, the liver filters blood and has a positive effect in those with anemia as it is rich in iron, B-12, B-6, magnesium, etc.
But do not mistake ancestral for flaky. These traditional beliefs have been backed by science. In his book, Primal Nutrition: Paleolithic and Ancestral Diets for Optimal Health, Dr. Ron Schmid, ND, a seasoned naturopath delved into the body’s innate ability for healing given the proper foods and conditions, as well as research from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland, lending credence to eating “animal organs to help ensure health in one’s corresponding organs.”
Organ Meats List
- Bone Marrow
Organ Meats Benefits
- Nutrient-Dense: Organ meats make a great addition to our diet as organs are super nutrient-dense. They have high levels of vitamin C, and B-vitamins as well as iron, magnesium, selenium, zinc, and fat-soluble vitamins – A, D, E, and K.
Comparison between 100g of steak and 100g of liver
- Absorbable Iron: Meat is a great source of heme iron, which is highly bioavailable. It is better absorbed by the body than non-heme iron from plant foods (lentils, beans, chickpeas, hemp seeds, kale, etc.).
- High in Quality Protein: The main micronutrient of organ meats is protein, providing all nine essential amino acids and helping you gain more muscle.
- Source of Good Fats: Many people associate animal fats with disease. However, now we know better. Healthy fats and cholesterol-rich foods regulate your body’s cholesterol production and are needed by the body, brain, and metabolism.
- Keeps you Satiated: Meals high-protein keep you fuller longer so you are not constantly grazing.
- Fat Loss: High nutrient and high protein foods increase your metabolic rate and keep you satisfied, helping you to lose more body fat.
- High in Choline: This is an essential nutrient that needs to be acquired from the diet and it’s needed for cell membranes, neurotransmitters, muscles, and the brain. The liver, followed by eggs, and beef have the highest sources of choline.
- Save Money: Since organ meats are not popular, they can be cheaper and save you money.
- Less Waste: Consuming all animal parts helps to reduce food waste.
Organ Meats and Gout
Organ meats are high in purines. Purines are the building blocks of all living things. Purines from foods, exogenous purines, are broken down by the liver and converted into a waste product called uric acid. This uric acid is released into the bloodstream, filtered by the kidneys, and excreted in the urine.
Generally, purines pose no problems. However, some people who have neglected their body develop hyperuricemia – high levels of uric acid in the blood, which can lead to kidney stones and a painful type of arthritis called gout. They are encouraged to limit alcohol especially beer, organ meats, red meats (beef, venison, bison), and saturated fats as they increase uric acid levels and can spur a gout attack (pain, swelling, redness, and tenderness in the joints).
Organ Meats Recipes
Now that you know all the amazing benefits associated with organ meats, it’s time to enjoy. Just be aware that some organ meats may require a developed taste. So it may be a good idea to start off with the organs that have milder flavors, like the heart and tongue. Here are a few ideas on how to prepare organ meats:
- Heart: Cook the heart just like a steak – grill it, make a stew, or burger with it.
- Tongue: You can make a tongue in a stew, grill it or make tacos with it but should boil it for several hours to soften it.
- Liver: You can slow cook the liver with apples, garlic, and wine. Then, eat it with sauteed onions, and parsley.
- Bone Marrow: Grill marrow bones with Himalayan salt, garlic, parsley, lemon zest.
Another alternative is to grind up an organ and combine it with some of the foods that you already enjoy, like beef or pork mince, and make a stew or burgers. Whatever the choice, it is very important to choose high-quality meats. Buy grass-fed and organic organs in order to enjoy the nutrients without any hormones or toxins found in conventional meats.
If you don’t like the taste or can’t find good-quality organs, supplementing is a great alternative. Ancestral Supplements is a wonderful company that provides whole food, nutrient-dense organs. They produce small batches at a time to ensure superb quality. Their motto is putting back in, what the modern world has left out. These are some of their products’ characteristics
- Pasture Raised In New Zealand, which has a moderate non-toxic climate with green grass and clean pastures that produce healthier cattle
- Grass-fed & Grass-Finished
- Hormone, Pesticide & GMO-Free
- Absolutely No Fillers (or) Flow Agents
- 100% Freeze-Dried & Non-Defatted
- Third-Party Tested For Purity
This blend has 100% pure bovine liver, heart, kidney, pancreas, and spleen.
⬆️ Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, CoQ10, Bio-Available Heme Iron, Selenium, Enzymes, Fat Soluble Vitamins (A, D, K & E), Folate, Copper, Zinc, Chromium, and Hyaluronic Acid.
Supporting ➡️ Liver, Heart, Kidney, Pancreas & Spleen Health, Detoxification Pathways, Cardiovascular & Mitochondrial Health, Immunity, Collagen Health, Energy Metabolism, Digestive Enzymes, Overall Health & Wellbeing
⬆️ in: Vitamin A (5099 IU = 100% DV), Vitamin B12 (13.6 MCG = 230% DV), 120 MG Choline, Folate, CoQ10, Bio-Available Iron, Hyaluronic Acid, Fat-Soluble Vitamins (A, D, K & E), copper, zinc, chromium.
Supporting ➡️ Healthy Teeth, Gums, Skin & Hair, Healthy Joints, Ligaments & Tendons, Collagen Production, Energy Metabolism, Immunity, Methylation, Heart, Brain & Liver Health
Colostrum is the primary milk, produced by every mammalian mother within the first few hours following her infant’s birth. This superfood ensures survival as it’s highly concentrated.
⬆️ Immune Factors: Immunoglobulins, Proline-rich Polypeptides, Lactoferrin, Glycoproteins, Lactalbumins, Cytokines, Interleukins, Interferon, and Lymphokines, Lysozyme.
⬆️ Growth Factors: Insulin-like Growth Factor I and II, Epithelial Growth Factor, Transforming Growth Factors A & B, Platelet-Derived Growth Factor.
⬆️ Vitamins, Minerals, Enzymes, and Amino Acids
Supporting ➡️ Immunity, Human Growth, DNA and RNA Repair, Connective tissue, Muscle, Bone, and Neuron Regeneration, Optimal Gut Function, Thymus & Iron Health, Increased Athletic Performance, Antiviral, Antibacterial, Anti-Cancerous & Anti-inflammatory Responses, Cortisol, Sugar, & Mood Regulation, Anti-aging.
This whole food collagen is made of trachea, scapula, cartilage with all building blocks, peptides, and enzymes to nourish and support joints, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and nails. Most commercial collagens are produced from hides, hooves, and horns which are inedible but highly processed, decreasing their properties
⬆️ Amino Acids (Glycine, Hydroxyproline & Proline), Type II Collagen, Bioactive Growth Factors IGF-I, TGFßI & CDGF, Molecular Biodirectors, Glycosaminoglycans, Proteoglycans, Chondroitin Sulfates.
Supporting ➡️ Optimal Joints, Bones, Cartilage, Skin, Hair, & Nail Health, Healing, Immune Health And Joint Health
⬆️ Arteriovascular and Lung-Specific Building Blocks, Peptides and Enzymes, Widely Differentiated Blood Vessels (arteries, capillaries and veins in the approximate proportions that they exist throughout the body), Molecular Biodirectors (DNA Blueprints To Build and Repair Healthy Tissue).
Supporting ➡️ Optimal Lung & Arteriovascular Health. Great for respiratory disorders (bronchitis, asthma, chronic coughs, chest colds), convalescent stages (of pneumonia, colds, flu), and pulmonary involvements (including accidents, industrial fumes, and dust inhalation).
OTHER ORGAN PRODUCTS
Ancestral Supplements also have these amazing organs: Heart, Thyroid, Pancreas, Spleen, Bone Marrow, Thymus, Brain, Kidney, Trachea, Prostate, Adrenal, Intestines, Gallbladder, Tallow, Eyes, Fish Eggs, Male Optimization Formula
Be Aware … Detox Reaction
Most people tolerate these kinds of supplements without a problem. Yet, 5 – 10% of customers experience a detoxification reaction (usually those with autoimmune conditions). These healing reactions include nausea, headache, lethargy, dizziness, and other flu-like symptoms. This happens as the body is being able to release stored toxins, metabolic wastes, and pathogens. In this case, instead of the suggested serving size of 6 capsules per day, you should start slow when adding this product to your current regimen. Start with just 1 capsule a day and increasing by just 1 capsule every couple of days -You’ll achieve the recommended serving in two to three weeks.
Now that you learn about the powerful benefits of organ meats, start incorporating them into your life. Complement your routine with Ancestral Supplements’ organs and allow your body and mind to perform better, your immune system to function properly, and your health to thrive!
To a fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor