Fauci has taken a major role in every ”epidemic” since he became the head of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). He has used these viral outbreaks to incite fear in the population, increase his funding, push drugs or vaccines that financially benefit him, suppress cheap drugs, and profiteer. Let’s look at Fauci’s approach during the AIDS epidemic.
Fear Mongering and Increased Funding
Fauci’s approach during the AIDS epidemic involved public fear and increased funding. In 1981, the CDC declared Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) a health emergency. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) was taking charge of AIDS and patented a drug for it in 1985. By 1987, Fauci had appropriated the HIV program from NCI.
Even though Fauci knew that AIDS spreads mainly through sexual contact and intravenous drug use. He claimed that the virus could also be transmitted through “ordinary close contact” with the infected, as well as sexually and through blood-borne transmission. He asserted that even children were at risk just by having contact with an infected person.
In 2003, Fauci continued spreading disinformation about the severity and widespread reach of AIDS, “The news about the number of AIDS cases is bad and getting worse … In the next decade, 40 million more people will have AIDS, and by 2020, 70 million more people will die of it.” He also said that in the United States, there are “40,000 new infections every year, half of which are in people under age 25.”
Nowadays, we know that the statements Fauci made about AIDS are not true. Those were blatant exaggerations made to incite fear – similar to the ones he has been making about COVID-19. All the fear-mongering and propaganda he created was done to benefit his financial interests.
Fauci also capitalized on public fear by increasing his funding. In 1982, AIDS funding was $297,000. Two years after Fauci became NIAID’s director, it was $63 million. In 1988, after he took over the AIDS program, it became $374 million, and $3 billion in the 1990s.
Fauci’s approach during the AIDS epidemic also involved accelerating drug approval despite low safety profiles. Simultaneously, he used his power to suppress the use of cheap drugs. Fauci even funded AIDS experiments on children who were wards of the state, killing about 200 of them in NYC.
One of the first drugs involved in AIDS treatment was azidothymidine (AZT). In 1964, AZT was developed for leukemia but the FDA abandoned it because it was deemed ineffective against cancer and “too toxic” in animal studies. In 1985, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) patented AZT as an AIDS drug claiming that it “kills HIV in the lab.” Yet, it hadn’t been proven it was safe.
Fauci’s Golden Drug for AIDS
In 1987, Fauci appropriated the HIV program from NCI and accelerated AZT’s approval. After a 16-week study, he declared it a success. However, the study had methodological flaws. Even though the clinical trials were supposed to be double-blinded with a placebo group, trials were unblinded almost immediately – making them invalid (just like with the Pfizer trials for the mRNA COVID shot). Also, the tables used were not even acceptable to statistical standards.
Furthermore, in order to cover up adverse events, the AZT group received 6 times the amount of blood transfusions as the original control group, which kept patients alive longer. Some patients who died were even counted as part of the placebo group. Plus, phase ll of the clinical trials was aborted half-point even though it was expected to last 24 weeks.
In any other arena, data tampering of this level which resulted in deaths could be seen as homicidal. Nevertheless, the FDA granted AZT fast-track emergency use approval (just like the FDA did for remdesevir and COVID-19 shots despite the known side effects). AZT was recommended for individuals with full-blown AIDS and HIV-positive asymptomatic people.
One FDA analyst recommended against the approval due to its serious toxicity and likelihood to cause cancer. And Dr. Robert E. Willner MD Ph.D., AIDS researcher, said in reference to the trials, “why do those on AZT need 6 times the amount of transfusion? Because you are dealing with a killer drug..”
Fauci Refuses to Test Other Drugs and Suppresses Their Use
Besides pushing not properly tested toxic drugs, another of Fauci’s approach was to prevent the use of other pharmaceuticals. Doctors using off-label therapeutic drugs (AL 721, aerosol pentamidine, bactrim, ribavirin) with positive results were commissioned against it. Despite the fact that these drugs had life-saving potential, the NIAID refused to test them in AIDS studies and prohibited their use in HIV+ patients (just like Fauci did with ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine during the pandemic).
The obstruction of these off-label therapeutics took place due to the fact that these were cheap drugs. These drugs were not profitable for pharmaceutical companies or health bureaucrats who had financial investments in pharma products. On the other hand, AZT’s annual treatment was $10,000 per patient, which was subsidized by taxpayers.
Despite that cheap drugs were being effective and that clinical trials for AZT showed it to be less than optimal, Fauci kept repeating that “the reason that only one drug has been made available, AZT, is because its the only drug that thus far has shown in scientific control trial to be safe and effective.”
It’s interesting to know that Gilead Sciences is the manufacturer of AZT and that the Gates Foundation has donated to Gilead for decades. Gilead and the Gates Foundation have deep financial entanglements with Fauci. It is peculiar as well that Gilead is also the manufacturer of remdesivir (the drug Fauci pushed as the only solution to treat COVID-19).
Fauci Encountering Opposition
- In 1988, in a Congressional hearing, Fauci was confronted. Representative Henry Waxman said: “Dr. Fauci, your own drug selection committee has named 24 drugs as high priority for development and trials. As best as I can tell, 11 of these 24 are not in trials yet. Six of these drugs have been waiting for six months to more than a year. Why the delays?”
- Representative Nancy Pelosi asked him, “Assume that you have AIDS and that you’ve had pneumonia once, you know that aerosolized pentamidine was evaluated by NIH as highly promising. You know about the delays in NIH trials which may not be solved this year. Would you wait for [an NIH] study?” Fauci replied: “I would probably take prophylactic bactrim before that. I probably would go with what would be available to me, be it available in the street or what have you.”
- Larry Kramer, an AIDS activist, and playwright confronted Fauci through the Village Voice: You are responsible for supervising all government-funded AIDS treatment research programs. In the name of right, you make decisions that cost the lives of others. I call that murder… Your defense? “There are just confounding delays that no one can help. YOU FUCKING SON OF A BITCH OF A DUMB IDIOT, YOU HAVE HAD $374 MILLION AND YOU EXPECT US TO BUY THIS GARBAGE BAG OF EXCUSES! The gay community has been on your ass for three years. For 36 agonizing months, you refused to go public with what was happening (correction: not happening).. we lie down and die and our bodies pile up higher and higher in hospitals and homes and hospices and streets and doorways… The gay community has consistently warned that unless you move quickly, your studies will be worthless because we’re already taking drugs into our bodies that we desperately locate all over the world (who can wait for you?!!), and all your “scientific” protocols are stupidly based on utilizing guinea-pig bodies that are clean. How many years ago did we tell you about aerosol pentamidine, Tony? This stuff saves lives. And we discovered it ourselves. We came to you, begging you: can we get it officially tested; can we get it approved so insurance companies and Medicaid will pay for it (as well as other drugs we beg you to test) as a routine treatment, and our patients going broke paying for medicine that can get it cheaper? You monster.”
Fauci’s approach during the AIDS epidemic was highly beneficial to his pockets and the pharmaceutical industry. However, it was extremely harmful to HIV+ patients and American taxpayers – Fauci’s performance has been a public health hazard. His modus operandi of terrifying the population to get more money from taxpayers to fund studies of the pharmaceuticals that he wants to push is not good public health policy. On the contrary, those kinds of entanglements with pharma should be prohibited and condemned.
For more information related to the AIDS epidemic and Fauci’s involvement, check out the following sources:
- Poison by Prescription: The AZT Story (1990),
- The AIDS War: Propaganda, Profiteering, and Genocide from the Medical Industrial Complex (1993)
Articles related to clinical trials involving AIDS drugs and more investigative reports:
- John Lauritsen, ‘AZT On Trial’
- Brian Deer, ‘Revealed: Fatal flaws of drug that gave hope’
- John Lauritsen, ‘HIV Voodoo From Burroughs-Wellcome’
- John Lauritsen, ‘FDA Has Second Thoughts on AZT’
- Meditel,‘AZT Cause For Concern’
- John Lauritsen, ‘FDA Documents Show Fraud In AZT Trials’
- Tom Bethell, ‘The Cure That Failed’
- Celia Farber, ‘AZT Is Death’
- Neville Hodgkinson, ‘Court Battles Launched Over Anti-AIDS Drug’
- Neenyah Ostrom, ‘Thalidomide For Black Mothers’
- Neenyah Ostrom, ‘Nightmare On AZT Street’
- Celia Farber, ‘AZT On Trial’
- Martin Walker, ‘AZT: An AIDS-defining drug’
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor