By now, you have probably heard that berries are amazing for you. They are delectable and come in great varieties. You can get blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackcurrant, goji berries and many more.
Scientific research now attest to their rich value. They are alkaline and extremely nutrient dense, being high in antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, phenolic compounds, phytonutrients, and anthocyanins (red, purple or blue pigments).
Here are some of their benefits:
- Sugar Balance: Berries are among the list of fruits low in carbohydrates and sugar, placing them on a low glycemic index. Therefore those with diabetes can enjoy them without worry. As a matter of fact, they have a positive effect on diabetes and insulin levels.
- Berries appear to have a protective effect against brain degeneration.
- Digestion: Berries are high in fiber, keeping your digestive track functioning smoothly.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Research suggests that the antioxidants in berries may help lower inflammatory markers such as IL-6 and CRP, which have been linked to increased risks of heart disease and other health conditions.
- Cholesterol: It has been shown that consuming berries daily for eight weeks can lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and even prevent it from becoming oxidized or damaged. Healthy cholesterol levels keep your heart, arteries and all blood vessels healthy, helping prevent heart and blood pressure dysfunctions.
- Bone health: Studies providing berry supplementation for 12 weeks suggest that the anthocyanin composition of berries positively affects bone-related biomarkers.
- Vibrant skin: Berries with their high antioxidants and ellagic acid help control free radicals and prevent collagen damage, which contribute to skin wrinkling and aging.
- Cancer: Anthocyanins, ellagic acid and resveratrol in berries are believed to reduce the risk of cancer, specifically esophagus, mouth, breast and colon. A daily 2 ounce-intake of berries for 9 weeks appeared to improve tumor markers in some patients with colon cancer.
- Dieting: Berries can be incorporated in any kind of diet, such as paleo, Mediterranean, vegetarian, vegan, alkaline, and even ketogenic diets to a degree. They are low in carbs and sugar. Berries have the added benefit of helping you feel full longer.
Have more Berries!
The best way to consume them is fresh. Make sure that you buy the organic kind!! Berries are one of the fruits that really need to be organic since they have no protection (shell) against toxic pesticides. You can also incorporate them in pies, cakes and other healthy home-made snacks.
Another awesome way to consume more berries is by making smoothies!
Fat-Burning Berry Protein Smoothie:
1 cup frozen organic berries
1 cup Coconut Milk
1 serving of good quality Vanilla Protein (I use Nutrition 53 Lean1)
Blend on high for 1–2 minutes.
Pour into a glass and garnish with mint or cinnamon. Enjoy!
Flood your body with superb nutrients and keep it thriving by increasing your berry intake!!!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor