The bicep is a body part that’s associated with a strong physique. The bicep or biceps brachii is the large muscle that lies on the front part of the upper arm between the shoulder and the elbow. It arises on the scapula and runs towards the upper forearm. The biceps muscle has two heads, therefore its name, the short head and the long head. The biceps main function is to flex and supinates the elbow -allowing it to rotate so the palm faces up or forward. The biceps is one of three muscles in the anterior compartment of the upper arm, along with the brachialis muscle and the coracobrachialis muscle.
Another powerful arm exercise is the Zottman Curl. It targets all three major muscles that make up the biceps and the brachioradialis -- forearm muscle.
Zottman Curls Benefits
- Hypertrophy: Zottman curls help increase bicep size.
- Broad Bicep Exercise: They work the short head and the long head of the bicep muscle.
- Full Range of Motion: The Zottman curl involves a big movement and gives the bicep a full stretch, making it very effective.
- Endurance & Strength: They allow the muscle to be under tension for a long period of time, increasing endurance and making you stronger.
- Strong Wrists and Grip: Zottman curls improve wrist stability and strengthen your grip, much needed when lifting heavy and engaging in other compound moves.
- Challenging: It is not an easy exercise so you can be challenged with light weights.
- Simplicity: They are straight forward and simple. You just need a pair of dumbbells.
How to Do Zottman Curls
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart with your knees slightly bent
- Grab a pair of dumbbells, let them hang down at your sides with your palms facing each other
- Move your shoulders back and tight up your core
- Curl the dumbbells up with the palms facing the ceiling without moving your upper arms
- When your hands are up to your shoulders, pause and rotate the dumbbells so your palms face the ground
- Lower the weights down slowly to the starting position
- Repeat the movement.
Avoid Zottman Curls Mistakes
- Be sure not to move your elbows and upper arms throughout the movement. Aim to maintain the arm steady.
- Avoid rushing through the movement. This exercise requires slow and controlled reps.
- Avoid going heavy because it won’t allow you to lower the weight slowly.
VIDEO: Zottman Curls
Lift, Burn more Fat, Get Stronger, and Live Healthier!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor