Another great exercise for the shoulders is the Standing Front Barbell Raise Overhead, not to be confused with Front Raises. In the latter, you stop the movement when your hands reach shoulder level -or a tiny bit higher. With the front raise overhead movement, you bring your hands all the way up until they pass your head. You can perform the exercise anywhere, it can be a home exercise to lose fat while staying strong.
Front raise overhead works primarily the front deltoids (the front of the shoulder). It also stimulates the traps, upper chest, rhomboids, and other upper back muscles.
A great benefit of this exercise is that it strengthens but also stretches the upper body.
HOW TO PERFORM:
- Stand straight with a barbell in your hands with palms facing down.
- Grab the barbell with a closer-than-shoulder width apart from each other.
- Position your feet shoulder width apart and your elbows slightly bent.
- Lift the barbell up until it slightly passes your head directly over your head while you exhale.
- Lower the barbell back down slowly to the starting position as you inhale.
This overhead movement increases your range of motion and strengthens stabilizing muscles, front deltoids, and middle and lower trapezius muscles, which helps improve your posture.
Variations: You can also perform the exercise with dumbbells in each hand. You can also change the grip and alternate to a close or wide grip with the barbell.
VIDEO OF THE WEEK: Standing Front Barbell Raise Overhead
You don’t need the gym, this can be another home exercise video to incorporate.
Remember, whether you want to lose weight, tone your body, gain strength or size,
all muscles must be trained.
Lift, Burn more Fat, Get Stronger and Live Healthier!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor