The seated Russian twist is a great core exercise that involves a twisting motion. It engages all the abdominal muscles, the rectus abdominis, internal obliques, and the external obliques. Russian twists are believed to have originated in Russia during the Cold War.
Benefits of Seated Russian Twists
- Work your six-pack as well as your obliques.
- Strengthen your lower back as well.
- A strong core helps you to improve posture, giving you a more aesthetic and confident look.
- Strengthening your abs and obliques facilitates the performance of other exercises, such as squats, lunges, and deadlifts.
- Having a flatter stomach helps you to move more freely and engage more easily in your everyday activities.
- Help improve balance and prevent falls.
- The seated Russian twist is versatile, being able to be performed anywhere, anytime.
How to do Russian Twists
- Seat on the floor with both your knees slightly bent.
- Touch the floor with your heels, and position them around a foot or so from your butt.
- Lean back until you feel your abs engaging to help stabilize your body. The more you lean back, the harder you work.
- Do not round your back – keep it straight.
- Hold your arms straight out in front of you or hold a weight, plate, or a medicinal ball.
- Take a deep breath and pull your navel slowly and steadily towards your spine.
- Twist slowly to one side and then the other, rotating as far as possible.
- Don’t hold your breath; instead, maintain a steady breathing rhythm.
- Allow the ab muscles to do the work, not your arms.
- Once you master the movement and become stronger, you can do the more advanced version, which entails keeping your feet off the ground.
Russian Twists Video
Lift, Burn more Fat, Get Stronger and Live Healthier!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor