The Olympic games are taking place right now and many enjoy watching them daily or at least catching the highlights. Others enjoy watching their favored sport being played at an international level or their favorite athletes perform on the highest arena.
Do you know what does it take to be an Olympian Athlete?
There are some key components to keep in mind when aiming for the stars:
- One of the most renown concepts relating to skill mastery is the 10,000 Hour Rule. Gladwell Malcolm, the author of Outliers, claimed that continuous practice is the key to achieving worldwide expertise in any skill. He believed that mastery requires a total of around 10,000 hours of practice, “To become a grandmaster also seems to take about 10 years… Well, it’s roughly how long it takes to put in 10,000 hours of hard practice. Ten thousand hours is the magic number of greatness.”
Yet, there is much more than just practice when aiming to achieve olympian-like status. Practice is only a piece of the puzzle, not the whole riddle.
- An aspect to consider is aptitude, talent and genetics. It is best to engage in the practice when it comes naturally, when there is an affinity, when there is an inherent ability to do so. Yes, you can learn and improve on many aspects but it is easier when you are already good at it.
- Passion is also highly relevant. If there is no passion igniting the training and preparation, results are less likely to flourish exorbitantly. This boundless enthusiasm must be part of the picture.
- Obviously having a competitive edge is essential. Competing not only with others but with yourself does positively affect and accelerate results.
- Intrinsically embedded are sacrifice, discipline, and determinedness.
- Yet, all these attributes must be assembled and polished with the help of a coach who can delineate a clear path.
Olympian-like status is not only about going to the olympics…. It can be applied on any field, enterprise or realm in your life. Dream big, believe in yourself, remain consistent and positive, and backed everything up with the necessary action required to achieve results.
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor