As a fitness and wellness mentor and online coach, I am a big advocate of full-body strength training. It is not only amazing for the improvement of your metabolism, fat loss, muscle, bone, and joint health but beneficial for your overall health.
One of my favorite parts to train is the shoulder muscle. One exercise that’s amazing for the shoulders is lateral side raises, which mainly works the lateral part of the deltoid.
Benefits of Lateral Raises
- Aesthetics: Lateral raises give your body a great look by giving your shoulders a rounder look.
- Mobility: They increase your shoulder’s range of motion.
- Efficient: They don’t require a lot of weight and give you great results. You can feel them working even with light weights.
- Strength: Strong shoulders help you with your daily activities when you need to pick up items or even the kids.
- Versatility: You can perform different variations of the lateral raise. You can raise both arms at the same time, one arm at a time, or alternate arms.
- Posture: Lateral side raises engage your core, upper back, and neck muscles which help you to maintain a more upright posture.
- Simplicity: There is not much involved in the movement – all you need is a pair of dumbbells.
How to Do Lateral Raises
- Grab a pair of dumbbells in each hand at your sides.
- Stand with your back straight, core tight, and shoulders back.
- Lift the weights out to the side until your arms are parallel with the floor or a little bit higher, with the elbow slightly bent.
- Slowly lower the weights back down to the starting position,
Lateral Raises Mistakes to Avoid
- This exercise is not about speed. You will feel it more if you are doing it slowly.
- Avoid “shrugging” or using your traps to lift the weights up.
- Do not raise your shoulder blades during the rep.
VIDEO: Side Raises
Lift, Burn more Fat, Get Stronger, and Live Healthier!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor