Do you suffer from knee pain? Many people with osteoarthritis, arthritis, tendonitis, sprained ligaments, or torn cartilage experience pain in the knee area. In order to relieve their pain, they often depend on analgesics for pain relief. However, newer treatment lines suggest the use of alternatives such as Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (PEMFT or PEMF) to help heal and relieve pain in the knee. In this article, you’ll learn what is PEMF, the benefits of PEMF, the difference between PEMF and analgesics, PEMFT’s role in reducing pain, the evidence behind pain reduction, and pulsed electromagnetic field therapy effects for your knee.
What is PEMF?
Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy (PEMFT), also known as low field magnetic stimulation (LFMS), uses electromagnetic fields to promote healing. PEMFT operates in the same frequency range as the earth’s magnetic field which helps bring your own magnetic field back to its natural state.
It uses pure natural gemstones, that when heated, release far infrared rays and negative ions that penetrate deep into your body’s core. These processes assist in normalizing your body’s functionality. This also guides your body into a state that is more receptive to other forms of therapy.
- Bone Health: PEMF has been successfully used for promoting fracture healing since it stimulates osteoblast (bone cells) precursors’ proliferation and differentiation.
- Tendon & Muscle Health: Recent research shows that PEMF has a positive role in promoting tenocyte (tendon cells) gene expression and myoblast (muscle cells) differentiation, helping heal connective tissue.
- Mental Health: PEMF helps to significantly decrease symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Autism: Children with autism show improvement after using PEMF regularly. They have exhibited better attention, communication, and coordination, and lower frustration and anger. Parents showed a reduction in pain and stress levels and improvement in sleep, patience, energy, and enjoyment.
- Detox, Pain, and Wellbeing: PEMFT helps improve circulation, cellular detoxication, sleep, and lower inflammation, pain, and stress levels.
- Efficiency: PEMFT is a very efficient treatment. It doesn’t require invasive procedures and with portable devices, it can be done anytime and anywhere.
- No Harsh Side Effects: The long-term use of analgesics can produce some nasty side effects. Utilizing pulsed electromagnetic field therapy is safer for the body. However, since PEMF frequencies increase oxygen to cells and can stimulate the removal of toxins, some people can experience mild detoxification side effects such as headaches, nausea, muscle aches, and fatigue. Yet these effects are temporary and go away as your body adjusts to PEMF therapy. Some people have electromagnetic hypersensitivity but it’s rare that users need to discontinue magnetic therapy due to negative side effects.
Knee Pain: Which is Better, Analgesics or PEMFT?
PEMF provides an effective and safe substitute for pharmacologic treatment. A study that was recently published by Italian researchers suggested that pulsed electromagnetic field therapy is a much better approach to pain than pharmaceuticals. Patients who got PEMF for their knee reported a high reduction in their pain and depicted different improvements in comparison with those who received the therapy with only a sham device.
On the contrary, long-term utilization of analgesics as a treatment for pain has shown to increase the risk of having adverse effects. Some of the side effects associated with analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs are renal toxicity, gastrointestinal ulceration, constipation, sedation, bleeding, and cardiovascular events.
What’s more, it has been found that when you take PEMF therapy to treat knee pain, you will feel a lesser need to use NSAIDs as a treatment. It has been a spectacular awakening to realize that something as harmless as PEMF stands to be a powerful alternative to analgesics that come with side effects.
PEMF Role in Reducing Knee Pain
PEMF helps reduce knee pain in different ways. It fosters change in muscle cells and promotes gene expression in tendon cells gene expression, allowing them to respond to the healing environment. PEMFT shows to be effective in the alleviation of abnormalities found in cartilage cells, helping them maintain collagen and proteoglycans. Additionally, it increases the pain threshold and knee function.
Scientific Evidence behind Pain Reduction
PEMF therapy for knee osteoarthritis has shown positive results. In the Italian study led by Bagnato and his colleagues, it was observed that patients with radiographically evident knee osteoarthritis and persistent pain had a better response to PEMF treatment. In-vitro studies suggest that PEMFT is effective in the alleviation of chondrocyte abnormality in the knee cartilage, favorable for knee cartilage homeostasis.
Numerous studies provide further evidence that pulsed electromagnetic field therapy can be advantageous in the treatment of rheumatology, osteoarthritis, and knee injuries. Over the course of the years, we will see a notable acknowledgment regarding the treatment option for knee pain. The chance of getting an effective and safe home tool for the treatment of the prevalent knee condition is quite attractive. A PEMF mat is widely available in the market and can be used by people who face chronic or acute knee pain. You can get a PEMF mat and other PEMF-related devices as the over-the-counter product in the continent.
How is Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Helpful for Your Knee?
Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Treatment has proven to be helpful in a lot of ways. The following are are some benefits of using PEMF to get relief from knee pain:
- Reducing knee pain in patients with osteoarthritis
- Inducing growth, proliferation, and healing of tendon, muscle, and cartilage cells, indicating effectiveness in the knee area.
- Decreasing the need for the patient to rely on analgesics or NSAIDs
- Protecting from any risks associated with other treatment options which might prolong pain and health issues
- Providing positive results without the need for pharmaceuticals or invasive treatment options
- Helping lower inflammation and improve circulation in the knee
- Using PEMFT brings your magnetic field back to its natural state, not only healing your knee but promoting overall feelings of well-being
It has turned out that PEMF is actually quite efficient and effective in reducing knee pain. Not only that but it decreases the need to take NSAIDs and analgesics to treat your knee pain. PEMFT is also helpful in decreasing knee pain by activating the cartilage buildup in the affected area. If you are looking to decrease pain, lower inflammation, and help heal and rebuild connective tissue for your knee, using a PEMF mat will help you get the best results you need.
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor