Being in the fitness arena, competing, training, and coaching others, I find the shoulders to be of great importance. The shoulder muscle is one of my favorite areas to train. The shoulder has several muscles that attach to the scapula, humerus, and clavicle. The largest shoulder muscle is the deltoid, which consists of the anterior, middle, and posterior fibers, giving the shoulder that nice rounded-look. There are other muscles — the supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor, and subscapularis — that form the rotator cuff and are vital in the dynamics of the shoulder movement.
Other muscles involved in shoulder movement are the deltoid, supraspinatus, coracobrachialis, serratus anterior, pectoralis, trapezius, latissimus dorsi, teres major, and rhomboid major among others. The shoulder area is one of the most mobile spheres in the body. The wide range of motion permits great rotation, abduction, and adduction. Simultaneously, this versatility makes the shoulder area more prone to injury.
One of the best exercises to build and strengthen the front shoulder or anterior deltoid is the Front Raise. This part of the deltoid performs shoulder flexion but also assist with shoulder abduction, transverse flexion, and internal rotation.
Benefits of Front Raises
- Great isolation exercise (concentrating on just one joint) that targets the shoulders.
- Front raises help increase strength in the shoulder area, facilitating daily activities.
- They help build and mold the front deltoids
- Dumbbell front raises also engage the core muscles by helping you keep the weight steady.
- They help improve posture and develop a beautiful upper body since they also involve your pectoralis major, lateral deltoid, trapezius, and serratus anterior muscles.
- Front raises help to improve shoulder joint stability.
- They don’t require a lot of weight – they can be quite difficult even with light weights.
Video: How to Perform Dumbbell Front Raises
You can also perform front raises with a barbell as shown in my Barbell Front Raise video. Other great exercises for the shoulders are shoulder presses, lateral raises, and rear delt raises among others.
Lift, Burn more Fat, Get Stronger, and Live Healthier!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor