Mother’s Day is coming up. A great opportunity to celebrate the presence of our mother or commemorate her life. Being a parent is probably the hardest job in the world. Therefore make it a super special day for your mom!
So when celebrating at home, it’s great to have a well-rounded meal. One of the things that I have witnessed many times is that most of the appetizers are mostly carb-focused. Being in the fitness industry (in New York), I eat protein with all of my meals and am very aware of the available food choices. Occasionally, celebrating the holidays leaves my body missing some of my protein requirements.
Here are two simple but fast, delicious and highly nutritious high-protein appetizers… Enjoy!!!
CASHEW BUTTER HUMMUS
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/3 cup creamy cashew butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 large lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- Use a food processor (or high-power blender) to mix the ingredients
- Serve with vegetables or snack of choice
PUMPKIN PROTEIN DIP
- 2 X 6 ounce containers of greek vanilla yogurt (SO Delicious Greek Style Vanilla Coconut Milk Yogurt)
- 2 scoops Nutrition 53 Vanilla protein powder (N53 Protein 1, Vanilla Bean)
- 1/2 cup canned 100% pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- For increased sweetness, add Stevia
- Mix or blend all the ingredients until fully combined
- Sprinkle a little cinnamon
- Serve with veggies, apples or snack of choice
To all the moms out there….Happy Mother’s Day!!!
To a Fitter Healthier You,
The Fitness Wellness Mentor